Thursday, April 05, 2007

The Human Condition

Humans as a species are often confronted by a wide array of emotions throughout their everyday life, from birth until death. As an infant, humans don't have the brain development or the mind capacity to be aware of their emotions, and so they are expressed in very rudimentary ways.

A young baby can feel stress such as hunger or arousal and these reactions produce instinctual reflexes such as crying or reaching out to one's main caregiver. Because an infant cannot self regulate ones emotions and thus has little self control over it, the caregivers responses such as holding or feeding the baby serve to bring the baby's emotions back to stability and contentment.


Over the years, the manner in which a caregiver responds to the baby's instinctual cues will gradually provide the young person with the tools to deal with their own emotions as they evolve from pleasure and pain, to love and hate, to pride and guilt. The caregiver teaches the child what to expect from the world, other people, and themselves. So if the caregiver is negligent, overbearing, distant or restricting the child may learn that emotions should be smothered, or that they are upsetting.


A big part of being human is the ability to experience a wide range of emotions. Emotions color our lives and reinforce the vast encyclopedia of memories that only the person that holds them can truly comprehend. It defines the self as a continuous story that is present only for a tiny blip on the timeline of our universe.


It's easy to revel in the positive affects of human existence. Joy, pride, and love are all easy for people to talk about and of course many of us gravitate towards situations where we can easily experience these emotions. For the same reasons, many people suppress and deny feelings like grief, loss, anger, sadness, jealousy and grief.


But isn't denying these uncomfortable emotions the same as denying our humanity? Maybe people think that if you keep these things inside your mind then they'll just dissapear. But of course they don't, they sit and fester like a wound that hasn't been given room to breathe.


Loss is a part of life, the Buddhists say that nothing is permanent and once you fully realize this then you'll be able to experience ultimate bliss. But attachment is a central component to our beings. So maybe it's just a matter of accepting loss as a bittersweet element to life that can serve as a catalyst to growth and self-understanding.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you're super productive lately, way to go.

As for suppression of emotion, I don't think that as positive.

My approach over the last several years has been to immerse myself in the emotion, whether super positive or super negative, and to cycle it through my being so as to be free of it.

In this sense, attachment is very real but at once very fleating, fulfilling what I think to be a good Buddist teaching (and this speaks nothing to responsibility within human connection, in that one can be unattached, but that does not mean indifference).

This approach has made my experiences more proximal. I am not as tricked by my emotions and my moods, irrespective of how deeplyh I may feel them. In a way, it started with understanding my emotions, heck, I'll say it, myself, understanding myself as a parody.

Surely, we are all ridiculous.

:)

And I wouldn't say it's easy to revel in positive emotions. I think this a misinterpretation of human experience.

It's like when a kid goes crazy when they're having too much fun.

Never to high with the highs, or too low with the lows.

Yet I think that positivity is in a higher order than negativity, in that it is where one should end up, a teleology if you will.

But it has helped me to land there softly, as opposed to stomping in my joy.

Man, is this the growth and self-understanding blog now?

2:13 PM  
Blogger Anita said...

I think that one flaw of the buddhist teachings is that it undermines the power of our attachment to symbols that constitute our being.

Even if our self in this lifetime is impermanent, there's still the absolute truth that you'll never be "you" in this life now, ever again, even if you're reborn millions of times. And so even if life constitutes suffering, this can be used as a tool to grow and develop your present "self".

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Undermining attachment to the symbols of our being, hmmm... I'm undecided if that is bad or good.

Yet symbols are a source of power, personal power in this case, and one should promote the things that give them strength I think, so I guess it would be bad.

But I wonder when one spills over into personal idolatry?

Heh, that reminds me of Supersonic Narcissus, whose personal mythology is great in character and spirit, but who likely fiddles with idolatry.

:)

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Interesting dialogue. Me grow too.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home